Get ready to take your game day menu to the next level with our Super Bowl Grilling Series. This year's star player is Tri Tip and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches with Mustard Aioli. These sandwiches are the perfect fuel for cheering on your favorite team while satisfying your taste buds with every bite.
Here's a winning combination of flavors and textures that will have your guests begging for more. Starting with the marinated tri tip steaks, soaked in a flavorful blend of cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and a hint of spice. This infusion of moisture and flavor ensures that every beef bite is tender and delicious.
But the real MVP of this sandwich is the caramelized onions. Cooked to perfection in olive oil, red cooking wine, and a touch of Worcestershire sauce, these onions are sweet, savory, and irresistible. They take center stage in each bite, adding a burst of incredible sweetness that will have you craving more.
To bring it all together, the mustard aioli is the perfect complement to the tri tip and caramelized onions. Creamy, tangy, and with a little kick of spice, this aioli adds a burst of flavor that ties everything together. It's the secret sauce that takes this sandwich from good to phenomenal.
So, fire up the grill, gather your friends and family, and get ready to be crowned the Game Day MVP. With this Tri Tip and Caramelized Onion Sandwich with Mustard Aioli, you'll have a winning spread with everyone cheering for you. Don't settle for ordinary game-day eats when you can have a sandwich fit for champions. Get ready to taste victory.
Tri Tip and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches with Mustard Aioli Ingredients
- 4-5 tri tip steaks (about 1.5 pounds/700 g)
- 1/4 cup/60 mL olive oil
For the marinade
- 2 teaspoon/10 mL cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons/7.5 to 10 mL sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons/7.5 mL onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL coarse ground black pepper
For the onions
- 2 onions, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 3/4 cup/180 mL beef or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL olive oil
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL red cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL sea salt
- black pepper
For the mustard aioli
- 1/2 cup/120 mL mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL stone ground or Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL chili powder
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
Tri Tip and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches with Mustard Aioli Directions
- Place steaks in a resealable plastic bag. Combine marinade ingredients and pour over steaks. Make sure to work marinade well into the meat. Seal the bag and place it in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. While the grill is heating up, slice the onion and heat olive oil in a large skillet on the stove. Add onion, salt and black pepper. Allow onion to cook on high for 2 minutes, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 5 minutes, turning often.
- Add wine and Worcestershire sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add stock, reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Place steaks on the grill and cook for 10 minutes, turning often. Steaks should cook quickly since they are relatively small and thin. If they are thicker, leave them for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and place onto cutting board. Allow meat to rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Prepare aioli by combining mayonnaise, mustard, and chili powder. If making ahead of time, place into an air-tight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 days after preparation.
- To assemble: Place Swiss on a lower bun, add 6-8 slices of meat, 1/4 cup/60 mL of caramelized onion, and spread a generous amount of aioli on the remaining inside half of the bun before topping the sandwich.
Taken from thespruceeats.com https://www.thespruceeats.com/tri-tip-and-caramelized-onion-sandwiches-336385