Game day is here, and you're ready to bring your grilling prowess to the field. Introducing the Super Bowl Grilling Series with our most delicious entry yet: Tri Tip and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches with Mustard Aioli. This sandwich packs a spicy kick that will have you punching the air in delight as your team sails to victory. Start by marinating your tri-tip in bold flavors, then fire up the grill and let it sizzle alongside sweetly caramelized onions. Building on these exquisite layers of flavor, spread on a generous helping of mustard aioli for an added zesty zing!
Begin by marinating tri-tip steaks in cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, onion powder, chili powder, and black pepper to infuse moisture and flavor throughout the beef. The onions are caramelized in olive oil, red cooking wine, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper to bring the incredible sweetness front and center. The aioli is a simple mixture of mayonnaise, stone-ground mustard, and chili powder to bring it together with a creamy texture and spice. Assemble with slices of Swiss cheese on toasted buns for a flavor explosion inspiring your own end zone celebration.
An unbeatable combination for an epic football night that's sure to score big with fans, grillers, and cooks alike. Prepare for glory with Tri Tip and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches with Mustard Aioli - The ultimate game-winning combo this Super Bowl!
Tri Tip and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches with Mustard Aioli Ingredients
- 4-5 tri-tip steaks (about 1.5 pounds/700 g)
- 1/4 cup/60 mL olive oil
- 2 teaspoon/10 mL cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons/7.5 to 10 mL sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons/7.5 mL onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL coarse ground black pepper
- 2 onions, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 3/4 cup/180 mL beef or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL olive oil
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL red cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL sea salt
- black pepper
For mustard aioli
- 1/2 cup/120 mL mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL stone ground or Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL chili powder
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
Tri Tip and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches with Mustard Aioli Directions
- Place steaks in a resealable plastic bag. Combine marinade ingredients and pour over steaks. Make sure to work marinade well into the meat. Seal bag and place into refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. While the grill is heating, slice the onion and heat olive oil in a large skillet on the stove or side burner. Add onion, salt, and black pepper. Allow the onion to cook on high for 2 minutes, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes, turning often.
- Add wine and Worcestershire sauce, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add stock, reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Place steaks on the grill and cook for 10 minutes, turning often. Steaks should cook quickly since they are relatively small and thin. If they are thicker, leave them on for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and place onto cutting board. Allow meat to rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Prepare aioli by combining mayonnaise, mustard, and chili powder. If making ahead of time, place into an air-tight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 days after preparation.
- To assemble: Place Swiss on the lower bun, add 6-8 slices of meat, 1/4 cup/60 mL of caramelized onion, and spread a generous amount of aioli on the remaining inside half of the bun before topping the sandwich.
Taken from thespruceeats.com https://www.thespruceeats.com/tri-tip-and-caramelized-onion-sandwiches-336385