The biggest aversion to winter grilling is the cold. One way to enjoy grilling in the winter is to use thinner cuts of meat that cook fast so you don't freeze waiting. The Warm Winter Grilling Series continues with Sweet-and-Spicy Grilled Beef Short Ribs, featuring sweet and sticky goodness with peppery heat. By using thin-cut, flanken-style short ribs, there is a maximum amount of surface area of each slice to be flavored and moistened by the rub.
Begin by getting your beef spare ribs from your butcher sliced just 1/3 of an inch thick. Combine brown sugar, salt, chili powder, black pepper, and the other spices, and thoroughly rub the mixture on each slice. Allow the ribs to stand for 20 minutes while the spices, sugars, and salts begin to penetrate and breakdown the tissue. Grill the spare ribs over high heat for just six minutes, flipping only once. They finish charred and delectable, without your limbs going numb from the blistery temperatures. Enjoy that terrific mesquite savor of hot grilled food all year-round with the Warm Winter Grilling Series from Summerset Grills.
Sweet-and-Spicy Grilled Beef Short Ribs Ingredients
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 3/4 pounds flanken-style beef short ribs, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- Canola oil, for oiling the grate
- Lemon wedges and slaw, for serving
Sweet-and-Spicy Grilled Beef Short Ribs Directions
- In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients except the short ribs, oil, lemon, and slaw.
- Rub the mixture all over the short ribs and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Light a grill, preheat on high, and oil the grates.
- Grill the ribs over high heat, turning once, until nicely charred and nearly cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter and serve with lemon wedges and slaw.
Taken from foodandwine.com