Summertime is taco time in my book. (Truthfully, for me, any time of year is a good time for tacos; it just ramps up in the hot summer months.) The perfect finger food at the beach, on the river, or poolside, the taco is street food at it’s finest. Next up in the Sizzling Summer Series from Summerset is Summer Garden Fish Tacos. Featuring grilled tilapia, fresh veggies, and refreshing lime, these tacos are at their finest because the corn, squash, and poblano pepper are each roasted and charred over an open flame for deeper, mesquite savor.
Begin by grilling the ear of sweet corn and poblano pepper over medium heat until tender to unlock the sweetness of the corn, and the aroma of the pepper. Then, grill the fish and squash over medium heat until the fish is flaky and the squash is tender. Cut the corn from the cobb, chop the pepper and squash, and combine all three with chopped tomato, red onion, cilantro, lime zest and lime juice. Assemble each taco in warmed corn tortillas or taco shells by layering the fish, the corn mixture, and avocado slices. The citrus will begin breaking down the veggies creating a roasted corn and squash pico de gallo that is light, refreshing, and adds wonderful texture to the tilapia. So, get your swimming trunks on, grab your sunshade, and enjoy the Sizzling Summer Series in the warm breeze by the water.
Summer Garden Fish Tacos Ingredients
- 1 medium ear sweet corn, husk removed
- 1 poblano pepper, halved and seeds removed
- 4 tilapia fillets (4 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium heirloom tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 8 taco shells, warmed
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
Summer Garden Fish Tacos Directions
- Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill corn and pepper, covered, over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle fish with salt. Grill fish and squash, covered, over medium heat 7-9 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork and squash is tender, turning once.
- Cut corn from cob and place in a bowl. Chop pepper and squash; add to corn. Stir in tomato, onion, cilantro, lime zest and lime juice. Serve fish in taco shells; top with corn mixture and avocado slices.
Taken from TasteOfHome.com