Unleash bold, delicious flavors this grilling season with the delectable Roasted Red Pepper & Olive Pizza on the Grill! This unique vegetarian recipe combines everything you love about golden-brown crispy crusts and fresh veggie toppings spectacularly. The incredibly high temperatures of grills add a crunchy texture to a pizza dough that no conventional oven can replicate.
It starts with making the perfect pizza dough, which means you can make your pizzas in whatever size or shape you desire. Of course, it's best when made with the freshest ingredients for an explosion of flavor. Don't forget our secret tip – roast the peppers and tomatoes yourself first for even more deliciousness! Whether you choose your own toppings or follow our suggestions (but don't overdo it!) - whatever you make is sure to be mouthwateringly memorable.
Are you feeling daring? Make this season about something new and exciting with Roasted Red Pepper & Olive Pizza on the Grill!
Makes 2 pizzas
Roasted Red Pepper & Olive Pizza on the Grill Ingredients
- 1 (.25 ounce) package of active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 pinch of white sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Roasted Red Pepper & Olive Pizza on the Grill Directions
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, and mix in sugar—proof for ten minutes or until frothy. Mix in the salt, olive oil, and flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth, about 8 minutes. Place dough in a well-oiled bowl and cover it with a damp cloth. Set aside to rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down, and knead in garlic and basil. Set aside to rise for one more hour or until doubled again.
- Preheat the grill to high heat. Heat the olive oil with garlic for 30 seconds in the microwave and set aside. Punch down the dough, and divide it in half. Form each half into an oblong shape 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Brush the grill grate with garlic-flavored olive oil. Carefully place one piece of dough on the hot grill. The dough will begin to puff almost immediately. Turn the dough over with two spatulas when the bottom crust has lightly browned. Working quickly, brush oil over the crust, and then brush with two tablespoons of tomato sauce. Arrange 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 1/8 cup sliced black olives, and 1/8 cup roasted red peppers over the crust. Sprinkle with one cup of cheese and two tablespoons of basil. Close the lid, and cook until the cheese melts. Remove from the grill, and set aside to cool for a few minutes while you prepare the second pizza.
Tip #1: For even more flavor, grill a whole red pepper (sliced in half) and large tomato (cut into several ½" thick slices) seasoned with salt & pepper on the grill for a couple of minutes per side. Remove from grill, dice, and use as toppings on the pizza.
Taken from allrecipes.com https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14522/pizza-on-the-grill-i/