Grilled Butternut Squash with Shallot Vinaigrette – Warm Winter Grilling Series
We are in the last stretch of the winter months and as inviting as a heated blanket sounds, hot food over an open flame with the sights and sounds of sizzling caramelization is what we are made for. Get outside with your grill with unique recipes for winter grilling with the Warm Winter Grilling Series from Summerset Grills. This week we have Grilled Butternut Squash with Shallot Vinaigrette, a bright and gorgeous display of color and texture. Grilling vegetables brilliantly transforms them by unlocking their natural sweetness, and adding an addicting char and crisp.
Begin making the vinaigrette by whisking together chopped shallots, white wine vinegar, salt, sugar, black pepper, and olive oil. For added depth of flavor, coat with olive oil and grill the shallots to get a little mesquite flavor before chopping for the vinaigrette. Grill the butternut squash slices over medium heat until beautiful grill marks form and then flip. Remove from grill and tent with foil so they can continue to steam. Finishing soft and sweet inside with perfect crispiness outside, serve the squash warm with the light and tangy shallot vinaigrette spooned on top. This squash is robust and tasty enough as a main dish or can be a delightful side, but either way, your guests will love it. With so much to taste, experience, and grill, grab a warm jacket and drink and get outside with the Warm Winter Grilling Series.
Grilled Butternut Squash with Shallot Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (2- to 3-pound) butternut squash, neck only, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Chopped fresh chives, for serving
Grilled Butternut Squash with Shallot Vinaigrette Directions
- Stir together the shallots, vinegar, salt, sugar, and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until well combined. Set aside for at least 30 minutes for shallots to mellow.
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill to moderate heat. Grill the sliced squash, flipping when grill marks appear and the squash has softened slightly, 7 to 8 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and arrange in a shallow serving dish. Cover tightly with aluminum foil to keep warm and let steam, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the vinaigrette over the grilled squash, then garnish with the chopped chives. Serve warm.
Make-Ahead: The shallot vinaigrette can be made up to 12 hours ahead of time and stored at room temperature in an airtight container.
Taken from foodandwine.com