It's 30 degrees outside, and the fire is making it warm and toasty inside, but our tastebuds and the grill are calling. Are we really supposed to wait until spring for hot grilled food? The Warm Winter Grilling Series is back with tips, recipes, and seasonal ingredients for you to experiment with through these frigid months. With comforting indulgence, Grill-Baked Potatoes with Chive Butter are a simple way to enjoy your grill without freezing your tooshie off. With a beautiful compound butter to top, these potatoes are wrapped in foil and baked on your grill for a delightfully warm meal or side dish.
The compound butter can be made and refrigerated ahead of time by combining unsalted butter, chopped chives, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Laid out on wax paper or plastic wrap and then rolled in a log, the butter can then be easily sliced for consistent pads. Use your favorite baking potatoes and cut them crosswise every third of an inch, but not all the way through. Insert a pad of compound butter into every slice, and then tightly wrap each potato in foil. Cook over low heat to bake the potatoes until tender. Steamy, buttery, and tender, these potatoes will bring a warm smile on the coldest of days.
Grill-Baked Potatoes with Chive Butter Ingredients
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup of finely chopped chives, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup of sour cream, plus more for serving
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- Four 10-ounce baking potatoes
Grill-Baked Potatoes with Chive Butter Directions
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, 3/4 cup of chives, 1/2 cup of sour cream, and the salt and pepper; mix until smooth. Transfer the butter to a large sheet of plastic wrap and form it into a log. Wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Light a gas grill. Using a sharp knife, slice each potato crosswise at 1/3-inch intervals, cutting down but not all the way through the potato. Cut the chive butter into thin slices, then carefully tuck the butter in between the potato slices. Wrap each potato tightly in aluminum foil.
- Set the potatoes on the grill over low heat, cover, and cook, turning occasionally, until tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Unwrap the potatoes, garnish with finely chopped chives and serve with sour cream.
Taken from foodandwine.com https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/grill-baked-potatoes-chive-butter