Fortunately, it's Thanksgiving - a holiday to think back on the year and be thankful for all of the blessings we've received. We've put up a menu reflecting the season's gratefulness for this occasion while maintaining its elegance. Thanksgiving on the Grill continues with Flame Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fennel and Serrano Ham. These veggies are roasted over an open flame with a savory combo of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, giving them a smoky caramelized flavor.
This recipe will require a grill basket or cast iron skillet, so the sliced veggies and ham don't fall between the grates. These veggies caramelize and char beautifully by using a simple seasoning of salt and pepper and tossing in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. First, grill the Brussels sprouts in the basket over medium-high heat to cook through and blacken, then add the fennel and ribbons of ham to the basket to roast and crisp. Smoky, peppery, and salty, this dish is a beautiful counterpart to the roasted bird that crowns the table. Bring something new to your holiday menu with Thanksgiving on the Grill.
Flame Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fennel and Serrano Ham Ingredients
- Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly shaved with a mandoline
- 4 slices Serrano ham, rolled and sliced into ribbons
- 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Flame Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fennel and Serrano Ham Directions
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat cooking, approximately 425 degrees. Place a vegetable grilling basket on the grill to preheat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss Brussels sprouts with 1½ tbsp. of olive oil and ½ tbsp. of Balsamic vinegar. In a small bowl, toss sliced fennel with remaining olive oil.
- Place Brussels sprouts in the vegetable basket and allow them to cook for approximately 10 minutes, occasionally stirring until tender and lightly charred. Add the fennel and Serrano ham slices and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the fennel has softened and the ham begins to crisp.
- Remove the mixture from the grill, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.